Nicki Minaj has pulled out of a performance at the MTV Video Music Awards. The rapper shared the news on Twitter and promised to explain why at a later date. Replying to a fan, the 39-year-old tweeted: “I just pulled out. I’ll explain why another day.”
The Anaconda rapper, who was not announced as a performer at this year’s ceremony, promised to attend the award show next year and shared her appreciation for VMAs producer Bruce Gilmer. She said: “But I love those guys at MTV. thank you Bruce. I love you so much. Next year we there baby.” Ms Minaj is not the first performer to pull out of this year’s VMAs, which are taking place at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, New York.
Last week, singer Lorde confirmed that she would not be appearing as planned at the ceremony due to “very necessary” Covid safety protocols. She said: “It’s just that we were planning this insanely amazing many-bodied intimate dance performance, not fully understanding the (very necessary!) safety protocols that are in place, and the masking and distancing just meant it wasn’t gonna be what I dreamed, and you know I can’t make something less than outstanding for you guys. I hope you understand.”
Meanwhile, MTV revealed on Thursday that singer Normani would be added to their slate of performers, where she’ll perform her new song Wild Side. Others expected to take the stage at the VMAs include Justin Bieber, Doja Cat, Lil Nas X and Olivia Rodrigo. VMAs will air live from the Barclays Center in New York City on Sunday.